SFP 66 – Episode 66: Towards Collectivising Solution-Focused Practice: Into the Community with Hope and the Ordinary in Action with Guy Shennan
Simply Focus Podcast – Episode #66
Hosted by: Elfie Czerny & Dominik Godat | Intro: Bibiana Czerny & Ken Brooks | Music: www.bensound.com
SFP 66 - Episode 66: Towards Collectivising Solution-Focused Practice: Into the Community with Hope and the Ordinary in Action with Guy Shennan
„And I see it as an ordinary helping people to talk about their ordinary lives, wanting to do ordinary things that people do. (…) So, there is something ordinary about Solution-Focused Practice that I find fascinating.”
„We want to have a conversation in which we metaphorically are looking forwards. (…) And then we want to somewhat help the client to describe what moving in that direction would look like from tomorrow onwards.“
„Hope includes possibility. But it’s also even more powerful, it’s performative, it’s active.”
“I hope it helps with this shift from individualised to collectivised ways of working“Guy Shennan
In today’s episode we talk with Guy Shennan, Solution-Focused Practitioner, Consultant, Trainer, Author, and former Chair of the British Association of Social Workers , about
what fascinates him about Solution-Focus,
the ordinary nature and the forward movement of solution-focused conversations,
the 2nd edition of Guy’s book “Solution-Focused Practice: Effective Communication to Facilitate Change”,
hope without optimism and how hope is different in many ways,
the UKASFP conference and his best hope to have a collective and interactive ethos,
collectivising solution-focused practice, the Solution-Focused collective and their manifesto for a socially engaged solution–focused practice,
the power of conversation and the importance of working with others.
The Challenge of the week: „Post poems about hope: Share your favorite or an own poem about hope in the comments section below“
- Find out more about Guy, his work and publications on his website Guy Shennan Associates.
- Check out the 2nd edition of his book “Solution-Focused Practice: Effective Communication to Facilitate Change”.
- Enjoy the songs of the Solution-Focused Playlist on Spotify, initiated and maintained by Jonas Wells and Jonas’ & Guy’s article “Solution-focused practice and song“.
- And here >>> you can find more about Guy’s and Mark Gardiner’s article „Collectivising solution-focused practice“
- Here >>> you can learn more about the Zebra Collective.
- Find out more about BRIEF and Chris Iveson and his colleagues.
- Check out Guy’s book recommendation “Hope without optimism” by Terry Eagleton.
- Join us at the UKASFP Conference from July 11-12, 2019 in Bath and meet Anne Rambo from the Nova Southeastern University, Florida, as well as many other great SF practitioners form the UK, Germany, Denmark, the Netherlands and more.
Join the conversation
Friendpower is stronger than willpower. So, let’s inspire each other! Share your ideas and thoughts on what inspired you about our conversation with Guy and what differences this makes for you in your everyday life. Share as much detail as possible. And remember it’s the ordinary things that can make an extraordinary difference. Your story might be the one making a vital difference for someone else. Your thoughts and ideas matter and might encourage others to keep on going their SF journey. Share this podcast episode with your friends, clients or colleagues who you think might be inspired by this conversation. It could give them some practical ideas on how to apply Solution Focus in their daily life.
Thank you for listening to our podcast. You are awesome! That you listen to our podcast makes a huge difference for us. Please let us know and get in touch with us: Comment below or send us a message and tell us what difference our podcast series makes for you. And please share our podcast with others that might benefit from it and give us an honest rating at iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and we read each and every single one. You really support our show with that as this will make it more likely that other people will find the SIMPLY FOCUS podcast and benefit.
Do you like the SIMPLY FOCUS Podcast? Then help Elfie and Dominik spread the word! Donate for the SIMPLY FOCUS Podcast!