SFP 6 – Episode 6: Solution Focused Listening
Simply Focus Podcast – Episode #6
Hosted by: Elfie Czerny & Dominik Godat | Intro: Bibiana Czerny & Tim King |Music: www.bensound.com
SFP 6 - Episode 6: Solution Focused Listening
“Seeing this study shows so much about our influence as listeners and how important it is, if we want to bring out the greatness in other people, to truly listen for their brilliance. The brilliance is here. Always.”Elfie Czerny
„You co-narrate the story that the other person tells with your listening. So your listening makes a difference. Your listening matters. And if you want to hear good stories listen attentively. And it will be much more easy for the other person to tell a good story.“Dominik Godat
In today’s episode, we talk about
- what we love about the topic “listening”.
- what differences it makes when we listen for the brilliance of people.
- the “T study” that shows that as listeners we are co-narrators: when we listen attentively people are much better storytellers.
- Nancy Kline’s time to think and how a good thinking environment produces better results.
- how we do the “thinking rounds” and the differences this makes in our relationship and family life.
- how in Solution Focused Listening we
- listen for the brilliance of people, their preferred future, everything that works, and signs of progress,
- select exact words of the other person that reflect that, and
- build with our questions and their answers a useful conversation (see also episode #4 – the Art of asking great Solution Focused questions).
- how listen – select – build can be used in everyday conversations or how Dominik’s mum found 20 things that are already going in the right direction.
- The weekly challenge: Chose one conversation each day where you decide to listen in a Solution Focused way for the brilliance of your conversation partner. After the conversation take a few minutes and discover what differences this made.
- Find out more about Insoo Kim Berg, one of the pioneers developing the Solution Focused approach.
- Check out the “T study”: Bavelas, J./ Coates, L./Johnson, T. (2000). Listeners as Co-Narrators. In: Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 2000, Vol. 79, No. 6, 941-952.
- Read Nancy Kline’s book: “Time to Think: Listening to Ignite the Human Mind.“
Join the conversation
Let’s make a difference for others, share your insights, and ask great questions! Friendpower is stronger than willpower. So, let’s inspire each other! Share your ideas and thoughts on what inspired you and what differences this makes for you in your everyday life. Share as much detail as possible. Your story might be the one making a vital difference for someone else. Your thoughts and ideas matter and might encourage others to keep on going their SF journey. If you have friends, clients or colleagues who you think might be inspired by this conversation, share this podcast episode. It could give them some practical ideas on how to apply Solution Focus in their daily work and life.
Thank you for listening to our podcast. You are awesome! That you listen to our podcast makes a huge difference for us. Please let us know and get in touch with us: Comment below or send us a message and tell us what difference our podcast series makes for you.